Friday, November 20, 2020

Covid Lock Down Art

 Well, I've fallen behind on my Innovations in Animation articles for my blog. But here's a side project I did to help with morale in my neighborhood during the Covid-19 lock-down this year. These painting were done on bathroom tile for a community art project set up by a neighbor a couple of streets over from my place. It was fun, if a little weird. My neighbors put some heart and soul into this display to cope with the crisis brought on by our worse than worthless administration.

Toluca Lake resident Rick Garman let us place our art in the flowerbed in front of his building. Part of the challenge was making the art waterproof to stand up to the lawn sprinklers. This was my final entry. I call this one "The Show Must Go On!" It was meant originally for Halloween, but it took longer than I thought, so I adapted it for the celebrations we needed after the election. And hopefully when we bring the Covid outbreak under control. Toluca Lake Magazine has a nice article here:

https://tolucalake.com/2020/05/spreading-happiness-one-tile-at-a-time/

 
(artwork copyright various neighborhood artists)

And of course there were a few rules-

So far, I think the reaction has been positive. One of my pieces was either taken, or thrown away. I'd like to think someone enjoyed so much that they swiped it, even though it ticks me off a bit if they did. At least I made something worth taking! I didn't think this one was that good.

"Quiet cabin in the woods." We missed out on it this summer.

A couple months later this summer, someone did a curation, and lifted some tiles to a more notable place above the flowerbed: A couple of my pieces were "Ride the Dragon" and "Masked Heroes".


(artwork copyright various neighborhood artists)
 

(Rocket and Groot copyright Marvel/Disney. 
All other artwork copyright various neighborhood artists) 

Had fun with this guy. Dragons were on my mind this year, even though it's the Year of the Rat.

(Rocket and Groot copyright Marvel/Disney)

I have to admit, I got a bit carried away with this over the summer. I think I put in 8 or 9 pieces! But I wanted to pay tribute to the front line workers whose jobs have been made more difficult due to the pandemic. My curse for cuteness and whimsy dulls down the message a little bit.

Of course, there's the mask message. I'm still infuriated with neighbors who still think the virus is not a hazard, or that wearing a mask is a big infringement on their rights. I guess they don't wear seat belts either. I'm old enough to remember when that was a big issue!

On top of the Covid-19 crisis, we had another brutally hot summer, more record setting forest fires across the west, and unprecedented civil unrest due to police violence nationwide. Besides following the rules of the lock-down, these pieces were the least I could contribute. I'm very grateful to Rick Garman for this opportunity to let me present my art. We all need to pause, and appreciate small acts of kindness in the face of all this suffering and loss. As we head towards a shaky Holiday season, I hope these little bon-bons helped brighten someone's day.

Spidey's mask covers his entire face, so I guess he's okay.
 
(Starting top clockwise, art copyright Lucasfilm/Disney, DC comics, Time/Warner and Marvel/Disney)

No comments: