Tuesday, May 15, 2018

L.A. ACM SIGGRAPH - An Evening at the Technicolor Experience Center

 As an animation artist originally from the traditional pencil and paper world, I felt like I was in a classic James Bond movie when I visited the Technicolor Experience Center in Los Angeles. This was back on Tuesday May 8th, 2018


I must admit, VR headsets I've tried a few years ago gave me headaches and eyestrain, not to mention motion sickness. But the headsets at Technicolor seemed to agree with me, and the motion simulation chair worked in a very smooth, but dynamic way. The sensation of flying was pretty convincing. I was placed in the Alien: Covenant in Utero, a virtual reality experience. Not for the squeamish.

http://tec.technicolor.com/projects/alien-covenant-utero


It looks like VR games can be downloaded same as  downloading a movie, or any other video game. For Oculus, Vive and Stlan? Playstation? I'll try to clarify and update this ASAP.


Digitally insert an actor into a scene when their schedule prevents them from being filmed during a production.


VR stage for filming and tracking at Tecnincolor. The camera rig transmits its angle and position to Technicolor's tracking system. This can be matched up with the original camera's motion data.


Augmented Reality: objects from a video can appear to be in the room with you, if you have the AR app on your phone or tablet.

The reason is jobs, jobs, jobs! This is where the future is. Will update, correct and try to flesh out more details on this post soon.

Many thanks to L.A. ACM SIGGRAPH, and the staff at the Technicolor Experience Center!

http://tec.technicolor.com/about


http://la.siggraph.org/

Technicolor Experience Center
3237 South La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90016

No comments: